Near Hapjeong Station is a restaurant called Okdongsik that has piqued my interest for quite some time.
There is usually a huge line at this restaurant because of the rave accolades it has received from food magazines and newspapers.
Okdong Sik focuses on one single dish, so you can be certain that this spot is genuine.
There's simply Pork Gomtang (soup) on the menu, and you may choose between regular and special. The difference between the regular and the special is that the special has twice as much meat.
Here, the soup is cooked by boiling Berkshire K black pig from Mt. Jiri for an extended time, which results in a particularly transparent broth. It comes with rice and thinly sliced pork that's only about 80% done; the other 20% is cooked by pouring hot broth over it just before serving.
We ordered kimchi dumplings, a regular, and a special Gomtang.
Right after I placed my order, they brought me kimchi and some red pepper paste to accompany my pork meat.
Pork Gomtang 10,000 won (regular)
The soup came out really quickly and it turned out just as great as it looked on Social media.
The thinly sliced meat was of good quality, and the broth was clear, unlike the usual Pork Gomtang we know. I started by tasting a spoonful of the soup, and I was pleasantly impressed by how clean it was.
The Gomtang above is the regular one I got, and the one below is the special one my friend got.
The special one (16,000 won) has twice the amount of meat. I was still quite full after eating the regular one. (If you're not a big eater, I recommend the regular one.)
Adding a little red pepper paste to the pork enhanced the flavor. You might feel a little greasy after eating the soup, but a bite of Kimchi will clear your mouth out. I could see why Michelin gives this place such high marks.
Kimchi Mandu (dumplings) 6,000 ea
Since we are big fans of dumplings, we couldn't resist ordering the kimchi dumplings that were served on the side. You really must get these dumplings at Okdongsik. It was even more surprising to me that kimchi dumplings could taste so good.
A bowl of pork soup from Okdong Sik, close to Hongdae, is the perfect dish to eat on a chilly day like today. It's one of the greatest wintertime foods since it keeps you warm and is healthy enough to help you get over a cold.
Address : 44-10 Yanghwa-ro 7-gil, Mapo-gu, Seoul OPEN GOOGLE MAP
Phone : +82-10-5571-9915
Operation Hours : Mon-Fri : 11:00 - 22:00, Sat-Sun : 11:00 - 22:00 (Break 15:00 -17:00)
Instagram : Click for more images
Writer : jieuni0609
Special thanks to jieuni0609
okdongsik gomtang seoul